Saturday 15 May 2010

Rhubarb drink





Makes 1.5l

500g rhubarb
1.5l water
8 tbsp sugar (I used golden caster sugar)
4 whole cloves
zest and juice of one lemon
few springs of fresh mint
lime

In a pan boil the water together with cloves and lemon zest, add sugar and stir until dissolved. Next add the rhubarb chopped in 1cm pieces and simmer over a low heat for abour 15 minutes.

Remove from a heat, stir the lemon juice into a pan and set aside. Refigerate overnight. Strain the rhubarb out using a sieve. I do it twice - second time using a cheese cloth.

Serve cold with some fresh mint and lime (ice cubes - optionally).

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen this drink before! I love it! Next time I see rhubarb, I will make it and report back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    This is something that I remember from my childhood. My Granny use to make it, my Mummy use to make it and I make it, but adding a modern twist - limes were not available in Poland 20 years ago.

    I hope you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!