Saturday 18 September 2010

Green bean curry



There seems to be a strong catholic tradition in Poland that makes people not to eat meat on Friday. Fish is allowed, but can be quite expensive, some people do not like it, sometimes it is difficult to buy fresh, tasty fish in Poland without spending a fortune. I would think that sticking to this tradition makes Polish people aware of many tasty vegetarian dishes. Unfortunately I can still see some people mourning about Friday diners. They are lacking of inspirations, sometimes have to adjust dinners to few other members of family who do not certain food i.e. fish. Sometimes they have a problem with cooking filling, comforting dish to other members of family who do not accept dinner without meat. I would like to make it clear that it is not my tradition, but still in my opinion not eating eat at least once a week it good for health and environment. I prefer to eat meat 2-3 times a week myself, so I have no issues with that.

Even if we drop the idea of cooking fish, there is still a huge amount of vegetarian dishes that we can cook. Why not to cook vegetarian curry for a change? In India due to the religious restrictions many people is on vegetarian or vegan diet and their food is fantastic! The veg curry ideas are endless and it is your own imagination that limits you. Use seasonal vegetables, in winter stick to frozen or tinned ones and create your own tasty curry. I made this one, because my boss gave me a bag of various beans and I wanted to utilise it in dish that is tasty, filling and is suitable to reheating next day for lunch. If some of the people still do not like this idea I am going to cane them with green beans.


Serves 2-3

2-3 tbsp sunflower oil
1 red chilli, seeds removed if you prefer mild curry, finely chopped
piece of fresh ginger, approx. 3cm, peeled and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
half tsp turmeric
half tsp mustard seeds
tsp ground coriander
tsp garam masala
large red onion, peeled, cut into eight pieces, each split into single layer
ok. 400g green beans, cut into bite size pieces
ok. 200ml chopped tomatoes (preferably skinned)
400ml coconut milk
salt

In a pan fry the garlic, chilli and ginger for a minute, next add all the spices and fry for 30 seconds. Next add onion and fry for a minute and add tomatoes, beans and coconut milk, season with little salt. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until beans are soft.

Serve with rice (preferably basmati, we run out, so had it with wholegrain and it was OK), naan bread and chutney mango. Next day I had it with rice only and it was very tasty too.

2 comments:

  1. The presentation is beautiful! I love it ... x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lou, thanks for your nice comment and for joining! :))

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!