Saturday 22 January 2011

Celeriac, blue cheese & walnut bake




Yes, I am still dating intriguing Mr. Celeriac. My feelings towards him are getting stronger and stronger…

Some time ago I wanted to make a twist on traditional potatoes dauphinoise and use celeriac instead but after I have read this book I could not resist some new experiment. Although the author did not mention celeriac but celery I decided that I will take a risk and mix it together with blue cheese and walnuts in one dish.

This was the most definitely the best celeriac dish I have ever made. I love Mr. Celeriac even more and I desire more suppers with him.


Makes 2 as a main dish
or 4 as a side dish


big celeriac, about 800g, peeled and finely sliced
handful of shelled, chopped walnuts
about 100g blue cheese (I used Blue Stilton)
about 100ml milk
about 100ml double cream
about 100ml vegetable stock
freshly ground black pepper
little butter for greasing

Preheat the oven to 180 C.

Grease an ovenproof dish with some butter and fill with sliced celeriac.

Place milk, double cream, crumbled cheese and stock in a pan and bring to boil. Season with pepper (no salt required, cheese is quite salty), and leave it to simmer until the cheese is melted.

Pour sauce over the celeriac and sprinkle with walnuts. Cover with piece of tin foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Then uncover and bake for further 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven, leave it to cool down a bit for few minutes and cut with a knife. Portions are easy to remove from the dish by using a spatula or a fish slicer.

I served a quarter of the bake as a side dish together with roasted chicken breast, stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in Italian ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!