Saturday 2 July 2011

Gooseberry chutney






















I always show you recipes for dishes that I cooked myself and tasted so I can without shadow of a doubt recommend to you. Today it will be different, I am taking a bit of risk. I have made this chutney based on ingredients of Waitrose gooseberry chutney and various recipes I have found on-line, but I have improvised little bit.

I liked this chutney even when hot, even with this strong vinegar taste, which I am sure will disappear and develop into something else within a time. However I cannot be sure of the final outcome because it was the first time I have made gooseberry chutney. I did not want to wait until next year, so today here it is! Perhaps you will trust my senses and decide to make this or similar chutney this season. I hope it will be worth waiting, I cannot wait to have it with chunk o cheese.

Makes 2½ jars, 190ml each

400g gooseberry, topped and tailed
1 large onion, peeled and diced
handful of sultanas
150g soft brown sugar
180ml malt vinegar
tsp salt
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
tsp mustard seeds

Place all of the above in heavy based pan and bring to boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for about 1.5 hrs. Occasionally stir, gently so you do not break up gooseberries too much. Keep an eye on it on last 15 minutes, stirring more often, so it prevents the chutney to catch and burn.

Place hot chutney in sterilised jars, seal and turn up side down. Leave it to cool down and store in cool, dark place. Allow to mature for about 2 months.

Tasting about September time. Keep you fingers crossed!

EDIT: It tastes great! I definitely will prepare more next year. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I love your blog and the style of how you present you delicious looking food!
    I love Gooseberry jam- never made it- were I live we get a lot of apricots and peaches so I usually make those two types.
    So lovely to 'meet' you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am so pleased that you stopped by. :) I love your blog too and hope to "see" you more often here or there. ;) All the best!

    P.S. I am going to make plum chutney soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great recipe. Has all the sweet and savoury that I look for in a chutney. I just bought a flat of gooseberries at the market today so will be trying your recipe. I'll let you know how I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like it Sarah. :) I saw some goosberries today, have to make some more of this chutney. :) And yes please - do let me know. :))

      Delete

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!