Monday 12 September 2011

Fresh tomato soup with bread, salami and pecorino



Once I read about a tomato soup made with fresh tomatoes on one of the Polish foodies blog. One of the comments was quite rough stating that the soup looks disgusting. Well, thought to myself, it is time to teach young generation who probably seen tomato soup out of a tin only that this is how real tomato soup looks like.   

According to my taste there is no better tomato soup than the one made with fresh, ripe, sweet tomatoes, therefore I had to make one when I was in Ginestra. Especially I gave Anna Maria a piece of the Wensleydale Cheddar in colourful wax and to say thank you she brought me full bag of her home grown tomatoes. Besides we had some old bread and some sausages to utilise, so I decide to experiment little bit.

This soup was beautiful cold or hot. I am really sorry for not giving the exact quantities, but the general idea only. You have to work it out accordingly to your taste.



 



Makes big pan


few small sausages, salami like, sliced
generous splash of olive oil from Gina  
4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
2 peperoncino peppers, crushed
one big colander filled with ripe, sweet tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped  
about 1.2l vegetable stock (I cooked mine with carrots, celeriac, onion, garlic, whole peppercorns, little olive oil salt and pepper)
stale bread, diced
salt
freshly ground black pepper 
freshly grated pecorino cheese  


In a big pan fry the bread in the olive oil until crispy, then remove from the pan and set aside. Add the sausages to the pan and fry until the fat is released. Add garlic, peperoncino, fry for a minute or so and add the tomatoes. After few minutes add the vegetable stock, season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. 

Serve with bread croutons, drizzled with some olive oil and sprinkled with pecorino cheese.
 



4 comments:

  1. That soup looks so very good ! How weird that something that has been homemade with fresh ingredients can be percieved as disgusting. Poor Polish blogger, hope they gave as good as they got. :-))
    I don't mind recipes without exact quantities, it leaves room for experimenting. I always have the hardest time, trying to write recipes down, due to the fact that I am such an intuitive cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am smitten with your soup!!! I absolutely love all kinds of home made tomato soup!! always remind me of happy days :) And those sausages.... are they italian ones? Yummi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for your kind ocmments. :)

    Patricia, I can't understand this, but so many people are used to plastic food...

    Daria & Jarek, yes, these are Italian ones, I made soup in Italy, when I was on holiday. They are like small salami. :)

    Emily, lol! I am glad you like it. :)

    Thanks again all of you and all the best! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!