Tuesday 22 May 2012

Lavender, lime & lemon cordial




I have spent first May bank holiday weekend on Dales Food & Drink Festival. I really enjoyed myself and I will write about this festival in next few days. One of the food producers who had his products displayed in the food hall was very nice gentleman selling good quality cordials. These did not cost little, but I am ready to pay little producers bit more for good quality food, so price was not an issue. I had problem with the wide selection of very interesting flavours! I quite like the wild nettle cordial so I purchased one bottle and left inspired by other flavour: lavender and lemon. I decided to make my own.



Makes about 800ml

750ml water
250ml caster sugar
peel of 1 lemon (avoid white, bitter part underneath) 
2 level tsp dried lavender (for culinary use) 
juice of 1 lime

Place sugar and water in a pan and bring it to boil. Add the lemon peel and boil for about 3 minutes. Then remove from th heat and add lavender. Covr and leave to infuse for about 30 minutes.

Sieve, remove lavender flowers and lemon peel and discard. Add the lime juice and stir. It should change the colour from dirty purple to bright pink.

Sieve again using a cheese cloth, so any of lime bits or bits of lavender are left behind. Pour into clean bottle and keep refrigerated. Consume within 2 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!