Monday 13 August 2012

Light mushroom sauce

It must be one of the most uncomfortable things to happen to a foodie - changing a diet due to the health problems and eliminating favourite foods. For somebody who thinks about hundred times a day what to eat, what to cook, who reads cook book every other day and has culinary magazines in every corn of the house and most importantly who loves to share a passion with others - this could even sound like a tragedy. Well at least at first...

I need to avoind my favourite products, for at least 4-6 weeks and then I shall see how I feel.When I first heard what is wrong with my stomach and what foods can make me feel worse I was extremely sad, but also angry in some way and I though I am not going to cook, photograph and write this blog anymore. But then I calmed down, spoke to few friends and they help me realised that I should take this as a challenge and cook tasty food using limited products. I am hoping this is only teporarly though. 

I cooked this light mushroom sauce, without butter and cream, even mushrooms love these ingredients and I had it with quinoa. Normally I would have it with tagliatelle and lashings of freshly gater hard cheese. For a time being I can't have it, still try to make it as tasty as possible. 

I hope you will enjoy it and perhaps it will come handy to somebody who cannot go full fat version. 



Serves 2-3

2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 shallot, peeled and sliced
250g mushrooms (I used brown mushrooms, as I like them for their earhy and fuller flavour)
about 900 ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
freshly ground black pepper
salt (I used smoked flakes)
2 level tbspof cornflour mixd with few tbsp water
2 tbsp natural plain yoghurt  (I used Greek)
some chopped parsley
quinoa (millet, rice, pasta, bulghur, couscous), enough to serve 2-3

Heat the oil in a pan and add the shallot then fry over a low heat until soft. Add the mushrooms and fry until lightly browned. Add the stock, soy sauce and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes. Then add the cornflour mixed with watr stir, bring to the boil and remove from the heat. Add yoghurt and stir. 

Sprinkle with some chopped parsley before serving. I had it with quinoa and some Polish gherkins (sour, from the brine, called ogórki kiszone or ogórki kwaszone), but regular gherkins will work as well.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!